2010-04-20

Game 14 Recap : We Believe In Lyle.O

Even the guys who put up the sign don't actually believe.....

The Triple A Royals are in town.  To quote the nomadic Navin from Sports and The City: "Kansas City is just what the doctor ordered."  No better team to take your frustrations of being swept out on.  So considering the competition, let's take a closer look at the game.

The Good:

Brandon Morrow 
I urged him to pitch in the bottom half of the strike zone and he did just that tonight.  He got ahead in the count and trusted his catcher Molina.  Maybe we need to pair these guys up for a while.  His line was stellar:  7 innings, 3 hits allowed, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, only needing 90 pitches to get it done.  26 of those were balls.  He faced the minimum number of batters through 5 innings.
 
Jose Bautista
Smashed 2 bombs, both on the first pitch.  His first, a 3 run shot, hit the facing of the third deck.  He also chipped in 5 RBI.

Lyle fucking Overbay
Somehow he got on base every at bat tonight.  All five!  2 walks, an opposite field double, an opposite field single and he reached base on catcher interference.  He is still late on just about everything but at least he swung at strikes.

Travis Snider
The next one hit a mistake high over the wall in right.  Now I have heard his nickname was Moonraker.  If so, then Moonraker hit a moonshot.  Yeah.  That's all I got.

Speed at the bottom of the batting order
McCoy stole 2 bases and was generally a pain in the ass all night.  He went from second base to home on a strike out.  Think about that for a second.  Butter, the third base coach, just watched in awe like the rest of us.  

The Bad:

Buck Martinez jinxing the no no.

Cuban defector Yuniesky Betancourt, a former teammate of Morrow's in Seattle, broke up the no hit bid in the sixth with a solid single. 

The Ugly:

Color commentary guy Rance Mulliniks said: "a little bit of a riverboat gambler if you will".  WTF?

Tonight's attendance sets a new record for the least amount of fans at a baseball game in the SkyDome.  Take a look at what 10,314 looks like:



The Bottom Line:

We win easily, 8 - 1, moving us to 8 -6 on the year.

Looking Forward: 

I may have secured my first freebie ticket for tomorrow's game.  If that's the case, I wouldn't want to be some guy named Alex Gordon.  Check it:


That video was shot on April 10, 2007 the day Alex Gordon hit his first career Major League homerun, a two run shot off Josh Towers.  I was there and let him know what I thought about his dreams coming true.  You see, I bought into the hype and drafted him to play third base for me in fantasy.  What a bust.  Now it is just one of those things.....I have gone down for a game every time KC has returned since that very day.  It's turned a little personal.

There is a remote chance that this all falls through or he doesn't play due to a lefty getting the start but man, do I ever look forward to getting my heckle on.

2 comments:

  1. haha, nice one..

    I hear someone in the background is bothered by your heckling, "I'm asking you nicely, can you stop please?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be the security guard. She threatened to "kick me out" AFTER the game was over.....I did leave, quickly, only after the police officers began to take note of my existence.
    I love the face of the woman at the end of the clip. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete